I served this with some rosemary garlic focaccia bread from Trader Joes that was super tasty. I toasted it up, rubbed it with garlic and dipped it right into the soup. It's great heated up the next day too!
Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onions, minced
- 16 ounces frozen chopped broccoli
- 29 ounces canned chicken broth
- 4 ounces Velveeta cheese, cut into cubes, or similar product
- 1/2 cup fat-free skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 8 dutch potatoes (the small ones at Trader Joes), diced
- 1/2 cup light shredded cheddar
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook 3 minutes, until soft. Add broccoli, potatoes and broth and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium and simmer 3 minutes, until broccoli is tender.
Reduce heat to low, add cheese and stir until cheese melts; stir in milk, garlic powder, oregano and onion powder.
Whisk together water and cornstarch. Add mixture to pan and simmer 2 minutes, until thick. Serve hot and top with shredded cheddar.
Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving, 4 servings.
7 WW points per serving, omit potatoes and extra cheese to make the soup 4 WW points per serving