Adventures in Toddler Food: Apple Carrot Sauce

About two weeks ago the family went up to pick apples at an apple orchard just east of us. We brought home about 6 pounds worth of apples and I knew I wanted to make two things: applesauce and apple pie. Well, I made the applesauce yesterday and the dough for the pie is in the fridge for today!

Instead of keeping the applesauce as just apples I added some carrots in as well to give it more nutrition. My son LOVES apple carrot crushers from Trader Joe's and I just knew he'd love this mix. And guess what? I was totally right!

Source: A Year of Slow Cooking













Apple Carrot Sauce
  • 8 small/medium or 4 large apples, skinned ,cored, and cut in quarters
  • 6 carrots, trimmed, cleaned & cut into coins
  • Juice from 1 lemon
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup water
Skin, core, and cut your apples into quarters. Clean, trim and cut carrots. Add the pieces of apple and carrot into your crockpot. Add the juice from the lemon, and the water. Pour in the vanilla, and add the cinnamon and brown sugar.
Cover and cook on high for 4 hours. When the apples and carrots are super tender, mash with a potato masher or large fork. Place the mash into a food processor or blender to blend into a smooth consistency (you do not have to do this but I like the texture of the blended sauce).

Serve and enjoy!

My son trying to lick the bowl before asking for more...

3 comments:

Drew Mather said...

Thanks so much for posting this! My wife and I just encountered the power of TJ's Apple Carrot Crushers on our toddler and nephews over Thanksgiving. Can't wait to try out this recipe as our closest TJs is 45 miles. BTW, love the picture of your son not asking any questions ;) Says it all right there!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the amazing recipe. I found it about 2 years ago and have made it many times since. My daughter (who's 3 now) loves it and it's been a great way to sneak in some extra veggies.

Thanks again

Unknown said...

Can you safely can this recipe with a pressure canner?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...