Pumpkin Spice Cake with Honey Frosting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin-pie spice (or 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, 3/4 teaspoon ginger, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, and 1/8 teaspoon each allspice and cloves)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- One (15-ounce) can solid-pack pumpkin puree
- Honey Frosting (recipe below)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch square baking pan.
In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin-pie spice. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, butter, and pumpkin puree until combined. Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture, and mix gently until smooth.
Turn batter into prepared pan, and smooth top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool cake 10 minutes in pan, then turn out of pan, and cool completely, right side up, on a rack.
Spread top of cooled cake with Honey Frosting. Cut cake into squares to serve.
(Makes 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) regular or reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup honey