Thyme Chicken & Red Potatoes {7WW+ Dinner}

This is a meal that was pushed back from last week to this week and I'm really glad I didn't cut it. I'm usually hesitant to make crock pot chicken dishes because I've had some really bad experiences in the past (i.e. the chicken was so dry my husband started choking due to the piece being stuck in his throat... but we won't talk about that). So even though the ingredients sounded great I wasn't too thrilled to jump in and make it. But the dish surprised me.

The chicken was moist and flavorful and the carrots and potatoes were sweet and tender. I didn't even need a small sweet for dessert. The fresh parsley and lemon gave a fresh zing to the dish that definitely kicked it up a bit. And while there is a bit of prep beforehand, it's worth it. The sauteed onions and celery just add to the sweetness of this dish.

If I made it again I'd probably stop letting it cook after 6 hours instead of 8 since the chicken was *almost* dry. Good thing I followed my nose and stopped the cooker after 7 hours. The chicken was just right! And next time I'll try and remember to buy sage so I can make the meal according to the original recipe... haha... like I ever do that!

Inspiration: Weight Watchers


Thyme Chicken & Red Potatoes
  • 2 tsp olive oil, extra-virgin
  • 1 large red onion, chopped
  • 5 stalks celery, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup reduced-sodium, fat free chicken broth
  • 2 uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut in half
  • 1 pound uncooked red potatoes, cut into quarters
  • 1 pound baby carrots
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 teaspoon table salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 cup parsley, fresh, chopped
  • 1/8 teaspoon lemon zest, 1 strip
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

Heat the oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Add the broth and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Let simmer 1-2 minutes or until thickened.

Put the potatoes, carrots, chicken bay leaf, salt, and pepper (in that order) in a 5–6-quart slow cooker; pour the broth mixture over the chicken and vegetables. Cover the slow cooker and cook until chicken and vegetables are fork-tender, 6-8 hours on low.

Discard the bay leaf. Add the parsley, thyme, lemon zest, and lemon juice to the slow cooker; cover and cook on high until the flavors blend, about 10 minutes.

4 Servings | 7 WW+ Points

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...