Craving Comfort

I have been craving something warm and delicious for a few weeks now. I know what you're thinking... aren't most dinners warm and delicious? But it was a different kind of warm... a comforting, make you feel better type of warm. So I went in search of recipes I've yet to try out and found one that I had tried before but forgot to blog about!

This Chicken Tortilla Soup is one of the best soups I've had in a long time. It cleared my sinuses, filled me up and comforted me for days to come (can you say left overs!). Best of all... I got to use my blender again! Lucky me!

Source: Elly Says Opa



Chicken Tortilla Soup
  • 2 Tbsp. vegetable, canola or corn oil
  • 1 large chicken breast
  • 2 corn tortillas, cut into 1" squares (I used whole wheat tortillas)
  • 2 large anaheim chili peppers, diced
  • 1 large poblano pepper, diced
  • 1 jalepeno, diced
  • 1 cup corn (cut from the cob or frozen/thawed)
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tomatoes, cored, seeded and chopped
  • 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
  • 1/2 Tbsp. ground cumin
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 qts. chicken stock or broth
  • salt and pepper

In a stockpot, heat the oil. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper and then cook it in the oil, just to brown on both sides. Add the tortilla squares and cook over low heat until they are slightly crisp. Add the peppers, onions and corn and stir until they are coated by the oil. Add the tomatoes, cumin, bay leaf and tomato paste and simmer for 10 minutes to combine the flavors and cook the vegetables.

Add the chicken broth and salt and pepper to taste. Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer over low heat for about 20-25 minutes, until the flavors have developed and the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the soup and slice or chop.

Season the soup to taste, if necessary. Remove the bay leaf and pulse process the soup in your food processor or blender (in batches, if necessary). Add the chopped chicken back into the soup, and garnish with your favorite toppings.

WW points - I know that this was low in points I just don't have access to my recipe right now... will update soon!

3 comments:

Elly said...

So glad you liked the soup! It's definitely one of our favorites. Yours looks great, and glad you got to use the blender again :)

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Mmm.. chicken tortilla soup is great any time of year!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm Alisha from Wowzio, and I'm excited to tell you about our new widget platform that helps bloggers increase readership by providing engaging widgets containing your blog's rich content. You can check out widgets customized for your blog here:

Wowzio Widgets for your Blog

I wanted to reach out to you to ask for your feedback on these widgets (feel free to install them on your blog, if you feel they are a good fit). I'm sorry for leaving this message via a comment, it's not at all our intent to spam you ( which is why i'm leaving this comment on an older post and you can always remove this comment ). Again, we would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,
Alisha Wright
alisha.wright1@gmail.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...