Last Minute Dessert

I really wanted something sweet to end the day but ice cream just didn't sound good (yeah, I know, I'm weird when pregnant). So I started going through my baking books and ran across a recipe that fit my guidelines... no more than 1 egg cause that's all I had in the fridge. Well... I ran across a recipe that asked for no eggs AND could serve as breakfast the next day! Yay for me!

The recipe I found was a scone recipe in Williams Sonoma's Essentials of Baking book. This is a great book. We've made tarts, pies and muffins out of this book so I knew the scones wouldn't disappoint. These baked up nice and were very moist and tasty. I left out one of the main ingredients because I didn't have any and chose not to sub anything in and they were still amazing. Oh, and did I mention that it took me less than 30 minutes from start to finish? Oh yeah!

Source: Essentials of Baking p. 110



Currant Cream Scones

For the dough:
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup currants (I omitted)

For the Topping
  • 2 tablespoons heavy cream
  • 1 tablespoon sugar (fine sugar is recommended)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place all dry ingredients into food processor and pulse 2-3 times to mix. Add butter, cut into 1/2 tablespoon pieces, and pulse for 7-8 times. Add cream and pulse until just moist.

Dump the dough onto a floured work surface and form into a flat circle, 1/2 inches in height. Cut round dough into six equal wedges and place onto a prepared pan. Top each wedge with heavy cream. Mix sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle over each wedge.

Bake for 13-17 minutes or until golden brown (I baked for 15 minutes and they were perfect). Serve warm. Store in an air tight container for up to two days.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...