Needless to say it turned out amazing. So amazing that I made it twice this week. Yup, move over Garlic Cheddar Chicken and Grilled Mahi Mahi, I want to make the beans and rice again! These were even better the next day when I reheated them and put some in a La Tortilla Factory tortilla. YUM!
Source: "Fresh Mama's: Whole Cooking for Our Whole Families" cookbook.
Black Beans & Rice
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion (I used a white onion)
- 1/8 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 can (15 ounce) black beans, undrained
- 3/8 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/8 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp. sherry, cooking wine, or cider vinegar (I used rice vinegar since I didn't have these)
- 3 sun dried tomato chicken sausage links (I added)
- 1 cup hot cooked rice (white, brown, or wild)
Add in the remaining ingredients (except the rice) and stir until boiling. Reduce the heat and simmer 20-30 minutes until the sauce is reduced. Serve over rice.