Smothered Buttermilk Chicken with Peas {9 WW+ Dinner}

When planning this week's menu I think that tonight's meal was the one I was most looking forward to. The recipe sounded almost like a chicken pot pie filling over a biscuit and it ended up tasting pretty similar to it! The only thing I'd change is I'd add more spices.

Since I had to work today I had Joseph prepare this meal and he did great. He changed the amount of water added from the original recipe since he didn't think there was enough and he added in a splash of chicken broth to add more flavor. Another change he'd make is to switch the water with chicken broth for more flavor as well.

All in all I loved this meal and will definitely be attempting it again with some more spices. I even had a second helping (don't worry... I had enough points!). Don't get me wrong, one serving would have been more than enough to satisfy me normally but I hadn't eaten since lunchtime due to a busy day at work. I also paired this with a delicious spinach & romaine salad.

Inspiration: Food.com


Smothered Buttermilk Chicken with Peas

  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
  • 1 1/2 cups carrots, sliced into coins
  • 1/3 cup onion, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoons black pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 chicken gravy mix packet
  • 1/3 cup buttermilk
  • 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup(s) frozen green peas, thawed
  • 6 Trader Joe's refrigerated Buttermilk Biscuits

In a 4 to 6 quart slow cooker, mix together the chicken, carrots, onion, water, butter, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.

During the last 20 minutes of cooking time, stir in the gravy mix.Remove the bay l eaf; mix the buttermilk and flour together; stir flour mixture and peas into chicken mixture. Increase heat to HIGH; cover and cook 10-15 minutes or until peas are hot.

While the chicken mixture is cooking, prepare biscuits as directed on can. Split biscuits; serve chicken mixture over biscuits.

Serves 6 | 9 WW+ Points

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...