Eat to the Beat: Apple Pie a la Mode

Elly from Elly Says Opa, started a new blogging event called Eat to the Beat! Now let me tell you... I was so excited to see this new event. I haven't joined many blogging events because I really don't feel them, ya know? But this event... I feel it. I LOVE music. And lyrics really do mean a lot to me so I think that bringing music and food together is a great idea. I also love to cook with my iPod blasting so...

It was really hard to decide what to make but my decision was made for me when I began to explore what I could create with my PBDDL from BlakeMakes.com. Who doesn't like apples and peanut butter (besides Joseph... but he's allergic to peanut butter)? I definitely made the right choice. Simple, quick and perfect for movie night!

I just want to preface this by saying that this is not the type of music I typically listen to. No offense to anyone who does love Destiny's Child... I actually enjoyed the song (downloaded on iTunes... to listen to while I "bake", of course!)


The song I chose was...
Apple Pie ala Mode
by Destiny's Child

Lullaby love
Where have you been all of my life?
Your chocolate covered, strawberry, apple pie a la mode

It's all in the way you look at me
Apple Pie A La Mode
I'm sure I'll me enjoying your company
Apple Pie A La Mode
you turning me on with your modesty
Apple Pie A La Mode
You have such a beautiful personality
Apple Pie A La Mode

Source: adapted from Epicurious.com


No-Bake Apple Ice Cream Pie
  • 4 mini store-bought graham cracker crusts
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 1/2 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch chunks (I forgot to peel them and it turned out great)
  • 1/8 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted (I used Splenda for Baking)
  • 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 4 tablespoons Peanut Butter Dulce de Leche, plus a bit extra for drizzling (or other caramel topping if your husband is allergic to peanuts)
  • 2 cups Breyers Light vanilla bean ice cream
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Melt the butter in a large skillet or sauté pan. Add the apples and cook, stirring, over medium heat until they're just about tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice, cook for another minute or so, and remove from the heat. Scrape the apples and their juice onto a large plate and let cool.

When the apples are almost cool, scrape them and their juice into the pie shell, spreading them evenly in the crust. Slowly pour a tablespoon of PBDDL on each pie.


Put the pie shell in the freezer for 30 minutes to firm up the apples and caramel. When you do this, put the ice cream in the refrigerator to soften it.

After 30 minutes, spoon 1/2 cup of softened ice cream over each pie, pressing it down and smoothing it out with the back of a fork. Now pour as much of the remaining PBDDL over the ice cream as you like. You can pour it in a spiral, a zigzag, or any decorative fashion you like.


Sprinkle the nuts over the top of the pie, then put the pie back in the freezer for 1 hour to firm it up. No cheating and taking it out before an hour is up. Enjoy!

5 WW points per serving (serves 4)



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum, great use of the PBDDL! Thanks for participating!

Ally said...

Adorable! And how great with the pbddl!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...